Spring is here and it’s a great time to do some learning and growing together. We are some persons who would like to get deeper into a text called “Toward Transformative Justice”. Learning about Transformative Justice is learning how to form groups, and how to do something structured in response to the violence in our communities. It’s about healing. Springtime inside and out 🙂
We are three white women from Finland, Germany and the US, and would very much like to find more people interested in a shared learning / reading experience on the TJ-Approach. The reading group would be in English, 5 meetings in April and May.
… ABOUT THE TEXT
The name of the text: “Toward Transformative Justice. A Liberatory Approach to Child Sexual Abuse and other forms of Intimate and Community Violence. A Call to Action for the Left and the Sexual and Domestic Violence Sectors.” by Generation Five, June 2007 (Generation Five http://www.generationfive.org)
“This paper offers a substantive discussion on the liberatory politic of Transformative Justice. Transformative Justice, as defined in this paper, is premised on the idea that individual justice and collective liberation are equally important, mutually supportive, and fundamentally intertwined – the achievement of one is impossible without the achievement of the other.” (Toward Transformative Justice – page 1)
It’s a clear and empowering description – 70 pages long – including the work of several groups with a non-violent response to intimate, interpersonal and community violence in the US. (e.g. Incite! Women of Color Against Violence http://www.incite-national.org, Critical Resistance http://www.criticalresistance.org, CARA http://www.cara-seattle.org)
“Transformative Justice responds to the lack of – and the critical need for – a liberatory approach to violence. A liberatory approach seeks safety and accountability without relying on alienation, punishment, or State or systemic violence, including incarceration and policing.” (http://www.resistinc.org/newsletters/issues/2008/genfive.html)
The goals of Transformative Justice as a response to all forms of violence are:
Survivor safety, healing and agency – Accountability and transformation of those who abuse – Community response and accountability – Transformation of the community and societal conditions that create and perpetuate violence.
… HOW TO GET THE TEXT
If you want the text as pdf, go to http://www.generationfive.org/tj.php and click on the link saying Toward Transformative Justice.
For WHERE AND WHEN see below.
… WHERE AND WHEN
U-bahn: Leinestraße (U8)
1. April 1 ..Introduction
2. April 8 ..One: Why is Transformative Justice Necessary for Liberation?
3. April 22 ..Two: Principles of Transformative Justice
4. May 6 ..Three: Developing Transformative Justice Practices
5. May 20 ..Conclusion and Next Steps
(texts read before the meeting)
IDEAS FOR POSSIBLE STRUCTURES:
If there are a lot of people:
* Starting round in the big group: Is there anything people would like to share with the big group. Questions, approaches, ideas…?
* Split into small groups (spreading into other cafés or staying at the FAQ)
* Starting round the following week:
– Share reflections of the small reading groups from the last week
– Sharing questions, other ideas… for example, announcing the interest of reading sub-groups with specific content-focus, other political groups…
* Again splitting in however formed smaller groups (spreading into other places or staying in the FAQ)
all together 4 hours
16-16.30: Starting round
16.30-19.00: Selforganized reading groups
19-20.00: Reflection-Sharing in the big group
Filed under: > Cunt Incognita |